- Ovaban is megestrol acetate, a synthetic
- As of 2002 this product was no longer available
- 9/28/04 - Available at:
- Cornerstone Pharmacy and Compounding Lab
- 100 South Main St.
- Versailles, KY 40383
- To prevent estrus administer 0.25 mg/lb for 32
days. A maximum of 32 days is approved by the manufacturer. To
prevent the next cycle start at least 1 week before the next
anticipated estrus cycle. The next heat will be in 4-5 months if the
Ova-Ban is given shortly before the next heat will occur.
- If the Ovaban is given during diestrus (for
example, the client did not know what stage the bitch was in) the
next cycle will be at the regularly anticipated time.
- The drug is 97 % effective at preventing estrus.
- There is no apparent effect on fertility
To stop estrus when the bitch is in proestrus.
- The bitch must be in first 3 days of proestrus to
- Administer 1 mg/lb/day for 8 days.
- The next estrous cycle will be 4-6 weeks earlier than the
heat normally would have been.
- If the bitch should be bred during the first 3 days
of treatment, consider mismate management. If the bitch is bred
after 3 days of treatment, pregnancy is unlikely to occur.
- The drug is 92 % effective at preventing the estrus
if the bitch is in the first 3 days of proestrus.
- Depoprovera is long acting injectable progestagen.
It has been taken off the veterinary market, but is still available
on human market.
- Administration predisposes to pyometra.
Other Injectable progesterones
- All injectable progesterone predispose the bitch to
cystic endometrial hyperplasia (CEH) and pyometra.
- Cheque drops may be available in the US at this
time (October 2004).
- Road Runner Pharmacy - 877-518-4589
- Premier Pharmacy
- Were at Wedgewood pharmacy (not as of August
- 373-K Egg Harbor Rd.
- Sewell, NJ 08080
is listed on their site as:"Mibolerone 100ug/ml 55ml
- Cheque drops are 'mibolerone', an androgen.
- The androgen blocks LH release, therefore
- It is advised not to give before first heat because
it will cause premature physeal closure.
- You must start treatment at least 30 days before
the next anticipated heat.
- It has been approved for a maximum of 24 months,
but it has been given as long as 43 months experimentally without
- The next heat will be in 7 - 200 days (i.e.
unpredictable) and will be of lowered fertility.
- If pregnancy does occur, any female pups will be
- May cause clitoral hypertrophy
- Fertility reported as normal on first estrus.
- It is not for breeding bitches
- Testosterone is routinely used in greyhound kennels
to prevent estrus.
- Procurement is more difficult now due to abuse by
- Oral - Methyl
testosterone- 5 mg/wk (or give ½ the dose, 2X/wk)
- Parenteral - Testosterone
propionate - 100mg/ml preparation, 25 mg IM (in the pectorals) every
- May take several months to have an estrous cycle.
here to go the FDA "GREEN BOOK"
Approved Animal Drugs