FSH and LH
- Gonadotrophins (they affect the gonads).
- Released from same cells in anterior
pituitary (may even be in the same
granules within the cell).
- Glycoproteins (carbohydrate and protein). This
means they are antigenic and will degrade.
- Structure: 2 subunits * Alpha - same within species
i.e. LH, FSH, TSH have same alpha unit within a species. * Beta -
same between species i.e. LH in all species have same beta unit.
- Mechanism of action: *Bind cell membrane and cause
cAMP production, *causes phosphorylation in cell. *a fast action
contributed by Bruce
E Eilts on 21June-2000
assisted by Eric Huey